+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: QAV500 with APM2.5 setup

Navigator

QAV500 with APM2.5 setup

Figured I'd start a new thread since I think it's pretty useless to add to the 2000+ post mess that already exists.
    I don't see many people running APM for a flight controller so I figured I post my results with it.
    I think I have it tuned pretty good now after a dozen flights or so. Put it to the test yesterday in 20mph sustained, 30+mph gusts and it held solid in loiter and came right to me in RTL. Very happy with the power and feel with this setup, plenty of power even at 6600ft ASL.

Setup is:
    APM2.5 w/ Ublox LEA-6 GPS (awesome GPS!!)
    ArduCopter firmware: 2.9
    Motors: T-Motor 2814-11 / 710kv
    ESC: RCTimer SimonK flashed 30A
    Props: Graupner 11x5
    Batts: 4s 3300-4500mah
    Rx/Tx: Dragonlink
    FPV setup:
    Attitude goggles w/ 5.8ghz Rx/Tx
    MinimOSD
    Pixim 690TVL

Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcRSN...ature=youtu.be

Here are my PID settings: Keep in mind that I am flying at 6600ft ASL with 11x5 Graupner props. After 8.5 mins of mostly forward flight, I had 33% remaining battery life with a 4s 3300mah pack.

ACRO_P,4.5
    COMPASS_USE,1

RATE_PIT_D,0.008
    RATE_PIT_I,0.45
    RATE_PIT_IMAX,500
    RATE_PIT_P,0.13

HLD_LAT_I,0
    HLD_LAT_IMAX,3000
    HLD_LAT_P,0.2

LOITER_LAT_D,0.4
    LOITER_LAT_I,0.08
    LOITER_LAT_IMAX,3000
    LOITER_LAT_P,4

NAV_LAT_D,0
    NAV_LAT_I,0.17
    NAV_LAT_IMAX,1800
    NAV_LAT_P,3.4

RATE_YAW_D,0
    RATE_YAW_I,0.015
    RATE_YAW_IMAX,800
    RATE_YAW_P,0.25
    Last edited by Cpig; 26th January 2013 at 05:50 PM.

I would be interested. Taking the plunge soon with a QAV500 and debating just a KK board or using my APM2.

Do you find the stability stable from day to day? I remember reading somewhere about APMs requiring constant fiddling with the PID settings each time they flew.
    Regards,
    Bryan VE3OYN
    "Technoweenie"

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    If it is broke, deny everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Technoweenie View Post
    I would be interested. Taking the plunge soon with a QAV500 and debating just a KK board or using my APM2.

Do you find the stability stable from day to day? I remember reading somewhere about APMs requiring constant fiddling with the PID settings each time they flew.
    The APM2 is solid. Here's mine in loiter, setup is:
    RCTimer HP 2212-1000kv motors
    APC 10x4.7 SF Props
    APM 2.0
    3DR Power distribution board
    DJI Clone frame

Loiter:

View this video on Vimeo

Navigator
    I would really appreciate if you could provide your PIDs/settings as I am currently in the build process and as a newbie, find it all a little overwhelming!

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Technoweenie View Post

TW,
    In my limited experience with APM, I have found that that is not true. I have even upgraded firmware and kept the same settings with great success. I would have to recommend APM over KK because of the Loiter and Return to Launch modes. These are really a life saver when you feel you are losing control or if you get completely out of sight (which is very easy to do with the QAV). They have definitely saved me a few times already. As far as I know, KK does not have these features so you may save a few bucks on the FC but I believe it will cost you more in the long run.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Reigate View Post
    I would really appreciate if you could provide your PIDs/settings as I am currently in the build process and as a newbie, find it all a little overwhelming!
    I agree it is very overwhelming and what makes it worse is that trying to get a question answered in the DIYDrones forum is next to impossible - one reason why I am trying to provide my experience (although limited) here. I have a lot of RC experience - helis, planes, cars, but am still a newb with quads myself. I've been reading and absorbing a LOT of information over the past month or two but still have a long way to go.
    I added my PID setting to my original post above.
    Good luck to you Reigate, I think you will enjoy APM very much, and if you're like me, you will get a lot of satisfaction out of being able to successfully tune APM to your platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Reigate View Post
    I recommend you read this:
    http://www.pcbheaven.com/wikipages/PID_Theory/

Then the one of the PID tuning guides written by an APM user, Dave C. The Arducopter manual is not very intuitive when it comes to PID tuning:
    http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/ar...r-tuning-guide

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpig View Post
    I agree it is very overwhelming and what makes it worse is that trying to get a question answered in the DIYDrones forum is next to impossible - one reason why I am trying to provide my experience (although limited) here. I have a lot of RC experience - helis, planes, cars, but am still a newb with quads myself. I've been reading and absorbing a LOT of information over the past month or two but still have a long way to go.
    I added my PID setting to my original post above.
    Good luck to you Reigate, I think you will enjoy APM very much, and if you're like me, you will get a lot of satisfaction out of being able to successfully tune APM to your platform.
    Thanks for the settings which will give me a great starting point as our configurations are similar. Unlike you, I have zero RC experience so I have an even steeper hill to climb!

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Recon714 View Post
    I recommend you read this:
    http://www.pcbheaven.com/wikipages/PID_Theory/

Then the one of the PID tuning guides written by an APM user, Dave C. The Arducopter manual is not very intuitive when it comes to PID tuning:
    http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/ar...r-tuning-guide
    Thanks for the links which I will thoroughly review and I appreciate you taking the time to assist.

Thanks. I'm definitely going with the APM.
    Regards,
    Bryan VE3OYN
    "Technoweenie"

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    If it is broke, deny everything.

+ Reply to Thread